Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master server gets Status 41 on itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjblakel

Technical User
Apr 18, 2005
AU
Hi all,

Win2K Master/Media running NBU 5.1MP2

Weekly full backup of itself fails with a status 41 and sometimes status 89. Other backups in the environment work fine. Any suggestions outside of network load?

Regards,
JB

error code 41 has MANY possibilities. Please download this:

In-depth Troubleshooting Guide for Exit Status Code 41 in NetBackup Server (tm) / NetBackup Enterprise Server (tm) 5.0 / 5.1

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

Do you have a media server that can backup the master?
just an idea

Thanks guys,

I guess my confusion is that Status 41 is usually indicative of network naming and communication issues, and my problem is a master server backup of *itself*. It can backup other network clients just fine.

The jobs are dying mid/late backup, so a connection can be made (to itself). I'll look through bpbkar/bpcd and see if there anything indicative.

Add the sporadic Status 89's, and my guess is network/CPU load, but is there anything else worth checking?

JB

DNS/Name resolution. Check if you have hiccups on your network

Re: DNS/Name resolution. Check if you have hiccups on your network....

If the master/media server is trying to backup itself, does DNS really matter?

Yes, NetBackup always uses DNS/hosts to resolve names, even itself.

NetBackup treats every server the same. It does not do a short cut just because the server doing the backup happens to be the same as the one being backed up. It checks and validates each server before it backs it up, to do this it goes out onto the network. So to the server being backed up and to the server doing the backup they seem to be completely differant servers. Of course the data transfer is done internally.

error code 41 has MANY possibilities.
fragmented disk
anti virus
shared memory

etc....

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back