Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master Project and Sub-Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark12010

IS-IT--Management
Apr 28, 2010
US
Good morning:
I have been tasked with managing a project (Program) which involves implementing a JAVA licensing and Management system at multiple sites. Planning started 10/2014 and all sites must be complete by 6/2016. There are 32 sites, each site requires the exact same tasks and there should be approx. 4 sites "in flight" in various stages at any one time. I have created a project plan in MS Project for each site. For reporting purposes and general Project health checks I want to put all of these individual projects into one. Via Sub-Projects? I would consider myself a novice at best when using MS Project. Can anyone please advise me as to the best way to go about this? Any advise/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

You have a couple of options:

Create a new project - setting the start date back to Oct 2014. Insert each project into the new Project through Insert > Subproject. If it is only for reporting purposes and you do not intend to create links between tasks in the projects - you may chose to insert without linking to the original.

Another option is to open all projects and then choose View Ribbon - New Window. Select all the projects listed to create a consolidated project.

If you have the same resources in all 32 projects - you need to re-think your design and consider using a resource pol file. You can then create the consolidated project through the pool file.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back