Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master pages not working correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalChick

Technical User
Dec 17, 2003
US
Hi all! I'm using Quark 5 on my PC (I have v6 on my Mac, but I can't afford to upgrade both!). Anyway, it's been working fine for years. All of a sudden, the master pages don't work. I can't even "get" to the master page of any file. When I click on the master page icon in the document layout palette, it just goes to the first page of the document... slightly offset. These are documents I created in the past that I KNOW had master page elements. It also happens with new files. If I take the file to Quark 6 on my Mac, it works fine.
I tried uninstalling Quark and reinstalling it, and deleting all the preferences... and it STILL is doing it.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as it's driving me crazy. Thanks.

...have you tried disabling quark extensions and relaunching quark?

Andrew

...does the shortcut key work at all?, shift + F10 on the mac, it might be shift + F4 on PC, though can't really remember now.

Andrew

...the other way is:
page > display > A-Master A

Andrew

...can you right click on the master page palette and add a new master this way and then select one of these masters?

Andrew

Hi Andrew! THanks so much for your suggestions. I did try disabling the extensions and that didn't work. I tried the shortcut key and that didn't work. I also dried page > display > A-Master A...and that didn't work either. I tried clicking on the master page palette and adding a new paster page, but right-clicking didn't bring anything up... nothing happened.

I also tried to update to 5.01... but it keeps saying it can't find my copy of Quark. I made sure the folder and program were named correctly, but it still says it can't find it.

Grrrrr.

Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate it.

Julie

...never liked troubleshooting windows machines, a real headache...

...disable any virus software is recommended when installing software...

...i heard there is a repair feature for windows, this is from the install instructions:

Windows (all versions):
You must remove any earlier versions
of QuarkXPress before installing QuarkXPress 5.0. If earlier
versions are not removed and you then use the Windows
Uninstall feature to remove earlier versions of QuarkXPress,
some files will be incorrectly removed and QuarkXPress 5.0
will not operate correctly.

If you install QuarkXPress 5.0 without removing earlier
versions of QuarkXPress and then use the Windows Uninstall
feature, thus causing QuarkXPress 5.0 to operate incorrectly, you can use the Repair feature to fix the problem. To use the Repair feature, refer to the QuarkXPress for Windows installation instructions.

...the above may help, but i would try removing the application again taking care to remove all quark associated bits and bobs without any earlier versions on your machine...

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back