Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master MICROS EMV Solutions Thread 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTSChris

Vendor
Mar 26, 2016
US
I used my netiquette, and did a search for an existing thread on this subject. And while there seems to be, some mention here and there; I thought the time might be appropriate for a concentrated discussion on the issue.

Time...ha; the "deadline" was Oct 1, 2015 (right?)...and I still talk to salespeople, vendors, IT Directors...who tell me the same thing. No two people, can give them the same answer; and there is still, no "good" solution.

I was out in front of this, as a) I saw it being a real cluster; and b) it was a good source of revenue. After all...EVERYONE needs this. But then...after experiencing, the same as everyone else I've talked to (and I have a good buddy, at MerchantLink); I actually backed off...because I really didn't have, good and definitive answers/solutions.

OK...so; let's start to ease into it:

I always start my clients, by saying "the first thing you need to decide...is if you want an integrated or stand-alone solution". Integrated means less work, but is more complicated and expensive; stand-alone is cheaper and easier...but means more work.

My position is stand-alone, means...really ANY free-standing terminal; and then a separate process on MICROS, to close a check...without the authorization running through it at all. That's easy...as far as getting a terminal, and cheap; because there's no licensing/upgrade costs...and minimal programming, for the "offline" CC Close.

However...most of my customers, don't want the trade-offs/headaches. Server mistakes, double-processes, etc; they want info on integrated solutions. That's when things get FUBAR.

My understanding, is that only MLI and Elavon...have OPI approved gateways at this point. A) True? B) What does that even really mean?

Having worked with/for MICROS, coming on 20 years; I have a good relationship with MLI. Problem with their solution...as I understand it; is it requires RES be at 5.5mr1 (maybe even mr 2 or 3?). That is...to work, without loss of certain functionality (split tenders, most notably). Most of my clients, are at no higher than 5.4mr1; and an upgrade license...with lapsed support...means $10,000, before we even start talking about EMV hardware and implementation!

Elavon shows minimum RES v, as 5.2; but I'm wondering if that means...with the same functionality breaks, that MLI warns about (have to check, with my Elavon guy on that).

I'll stop there for now...as that's plenty, to get the ball rolling; but I guess I'm just wondering: what the h*ll, are you guys doing? LOL

Oh, P.S. For the record; there is NO integrated solution, for e7...correct?

Thanks,

We use Eigen and very happy with them. Fully integrated. Believe just need to be version 5.xx. We are 5.2. Full split cheque functionality and multiple payments on one bills. Zero server errors and easy back office reconciles.

Depends also on whether you are working with QSR or full service restaurants. Integration comes a lot cheaper these days, granted that you're licensed and have a compatible version. You also have to look at:

[li]QSR or Full Service? Wired pay stations are WAY cheaper, but don't seem feasible in a traditional restaurant experience (unless you're IHOP)[/li]
[li]For Wireless... are they running off of your wifi? Lapses in service along with power or connectivity issues can cause disruption. The other option is wireless stations running on cellular service, where you really start to see the costs rise.[/li]

We are a multi-unit full service concept, and were set to look for a solution that was: wireless, not impacted by outages, had a rented/RMA program so we didn't have to manage hardware. In a perfect world, it'd be P2PE and the device would have an OS that could have other potentially useful apps down the line.

It's tough out there. The amount of chargebacks we get, even in our hardest hit locations, don't justify the costs we've seen. We started looking at options that sacrificed one requirement or another, and we're still actively searching. We prefer to keep our processor and they run through First Data/Datawire, so the gateway thing isn't just limited to those 2 choices you outlined.

FWIW though, +1 to Eigen for being a comprehensive, feature-rich, problem-proof solution.

Merchant Link also offers a fully integrated EMV service. We have it at about 147 stores right now, all of which are on RES 5.1 MR 3. Seems to work just fine. Given we don't need chip and pin yet, it works just like normal.

when I was looking for a PCI compliant solution that supported EMV and chip I was looking at MerchantLink's solution but they were not yet done with developing it and it was too expensive anyway so I went with SoftPoint DataPoint which uses FirstData Clover payment devices and synchronizes Micros orders through Omnivore cloud service. Works great and I would recommend them, though you'll have to pay per month per payment device for their service.

if you're looking at Omnivore solutions, look at PayMyTab.

We've seen a lot of traction with the Paygistix EMV solution for Micros RES 3700.
It's inexpensive, has multiple payment device options that can be mixed and matched, connects to an internet gateway with real-time access to payments data and doesn't have costly transaction fees associated with it. Google Search: Micros EMV and you'll find some interesting links to check out.

We have been using Payment Logistics for about a year and a half now with Micros with no issues. They guarantee to match your existing processing rates, have a good selection of equipment options and their support is very responsive.

Another vote for Payment Logistics. Great support and such. We have had them over a little over a year now.

I am on this magical ride of finding emv for micros res 5.1.
Here what I found
Clover based standalone - requires OPI - its shit for high volume; too slow as it communicates via internet to and from micros.
Evalon solution - needs to switch merchant processor
Eigen - what we are trying out, having issue with chip read speeds right now should be 3-4 sec but we getting 6-7.

With Eigen for years. Chip read speed of 1-3 seconds. What hardware do they have you on?

Thats good to know you are on 5.2 and getting those speeds. We are using WS5 on win7 hp5700 server (2.9hgz, 4gb ram), using 2x dsl combined. Mobile payment and non-chip is 1-3 sec, just chip is the issue. Working with Eigen to trouble shoot, we have it off at the moment as its too slow for us to use.

I might be confused. Are you using a chip PINPAD at the workstation? We never went that route. We use the mobile payment handhelds (chip & pin p pay at the table) integrated with the Micros

yea we have it next to workstation, connect directly to the workstation. On your setup, does mobile payment handheld connects to micros server via wifi?

The handhelds connect by cell to Eigen, then from Eigen to us by internet. Takes a second to pull up a bill on the handheld. Once the bill is closed it takes 1 to 3 seconds for it to be closed on Micros. We have large patios so this was the best option for us. No issues at all. Can still process credit cards if internet or power goes down. Cell is on two providers so its always up.

oh so you have to plug in the price on the eigen stand alone terminal, in our setup its integrated and we do not need that step as we need the speed of service.

No we are fully integrated. You pull up the Micros bill on the handheld. Customer pays on the handheld. The bill is closed or that portion of the payment applied to the bill on the Micros. Managers have access to and bill on the handheld to accept payment. We are very high volume. Taking 30 payments on one bill? Fast. Have been doing this for 30 years and this is the fastest i have seen for collecting payment for the servers and for the bookkeepers reconciling day end. The only hitch continues to be Micros limit of one credit card per bill flag which comes up the odd time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back