Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master Files and Business Views

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCool71

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
US
I'm working on a project where I have limited access to the warehouse and limited access to the WebFocus application. The warehouse we are working with is normalized in nature. Although I have input into the design. At the end I will only be able to interact with Master Files and Business Views.

We have 3 scenarios in our warehouse.
1. Simple views that will always return 1 record
2. Complex views that can be defined and have a limit on the number of rows returned.
3. Complex veiws that vary in row and can have rows inserted and vary accross busines function. I will call these operational in nature.

Within the warehouse and tool we have been able to create a master file for 1 & 2. The design issue comes with number 3. Flattening number 3 at the warehouse could result in a view that would have over 800 columns at this stage in the project and as we grow, this would also continue to grow. We tried creating a masterfile with this view aliased several times over, but webfocus only has the ability to create "filters". When bringing in more then one of these aliased views it would only bring back records when both filters were true.

Is anyone aware of any other work arounds within the construct of a master file where I would need to join from a 1:many view that is normalized?

Warehouse has over 10 million unique records that have operational data tied to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back