Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master-Detail Table Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigd1170

Programmer
Apr 10, 2003
US
I have a master database table and a detail DBTable. when I try to edit the detail table, I get an error message "Index is Read Only". I can put the detail table in edit and insert mode, but I can't post any changes. I need to know if there is a way to have a detail table that you can make changes to?

One way to solv that problem is to introduse a "back door" to the table. Add an other pair of datasource-table components to your datamodule an let them point to the same physical table but with no conections to any ather table. Accessint the table that way givs you full access. I've used that model in a few applications and it works.
When you make a master detail connection, you make that connection with the components that represent the physical table, not with the table itself, thats why you can introduse a back door in this manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back