Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master-Detail report in ReportNet 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

devcog

Programmer
Jul 7, 2004
GB
Hi,
I tried creating a Master-Detail report in ReportNet but in vain.
Can you please let me know how to create one...?

Thanks,

- After grouping on a query subject, you need to go to the File menu option and select 'Pages...'
- From the 'Pages' dialog box, click on the second icon from the left called 'Page breaks...'
- In the drop down, select the query to be used as the master query. If you need to pass more than one value in the master-detail relationship, change the page break to grouping level. Then select the grouped query subject.

Having done these steps will now allow you to create a
master detail relationship.
- Go to the Data menu option and select 'Master/Detail Relationships...'
- Select your master query and press the 'Add..' icon.
- Select filtered query, unless you know how to use the parameterized. IF you don't, there is a handy little recording on the Cognso website that will walk you through this.
- Choose your detail query from the list.
- Create your expression.
- Done.

This is the functionality in later builds. If you have an earlier build, locate the property for the page via the object explorer and associate the page to a query. This will populate the master query drop down list.

Hi Flex,
Thanks for the tip....

I keep stumbling across these instructions, and it sounds good, but....

1. I go to the Data menu option and select 'Master/Detail Relationships...'
2. I select the master query and press the 'Add..' icon.
3. I choose filtered query
4. I have no queries available to choose from when I want to assign the detail query (and I have created the detail query)

Any ideas why it won't work?

J

Hi,
Did you put the list for your detail query inside the list of the master query? In the earlier versions it was possible to have the detail query anywhere on the page, but I don't think you can do it anymore (at least I wasn't able to).

Anna

Yep, works a treat, thanks heaps!.....It would be nice if the Cognos Doco was up to date.

But....the plot thickens...Now I think a master/detail report wont work, since I have 1 master table, and 9 detail tables (very messy).

Pretty much I have a Cost Centre description table, and 9 separate transaction history tables (different fields and column names), and I want to produce a statement for each cost centre - so have the cost centre number and description at the top of the page, then 9 separate blocks listing the transactions of each different type.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hi J,
Maybe you could still use a master/detail report.
You could create a simple report that lists your cost centers, and put the 9 detail tables inside it, so that you have them on 1 row. Then you group the master query by cost center, and set the page to break at each cost center.
In the end you have a report that on each page shows you the details for one cost center.

If the report gets too wide you can still try and arrange the detail lists inside the main list using tables...

Well, that's just an idea, We have done it with 3 detail tables and it looks OK.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back