Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master db size is not increased after expanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

babeo

Technical User
Mar 30, 2000
CA
Hi

I want to expand my master db from 100MB to 200MB ,and I use the SQL Enterprise. After that, I verify that the device and my master database is actually increased from 100MB to 200MB. I even recycle my SQL server.

After that, I try to install the SQL SP5 and I still get error message of the master database is not big enough for this installation.

Is there any idea why?

Thanks

Maybe it needs 200Mb in addition to the current space occupied?

Just a thought.

No, the message is complainning about it needs 3MB more before and after I expand the master size. I check the MS web site, and they discuss about this 3MB complaining message, and they show the steps how to fix it, but it is the steps that I've done. I think 6.5 has bug about this. The GUI will show you the master is expanded according to the bytes you set, but the actually db is not expanding.

The actual solution we've done is we have to install the SPack at the beginning when installing MS SQL, then after that we can create the db.

6.5 is suck!

i was in the same situation. Had 2.9meg free in master, needed 3 for the SP and couldn't expand master.

I had to back up all of the databases. Remove SQL6.5 Reload SQL6.5. As soon as 6.5 was installed I immediately restored all of my database (including the master to restore the security, logins, etc).

Not sure if this is feesible for you, but it solved our problem.

I didn't say what i meant.

I backed up all the databases (including master)
removed SQL6.5
reinstalled SQL6.5
Immediately installed SP5.
then restored the master then all user database.

My first post was a rush job.

Thanks Toetag

Yeah! I understand what you said, and it is exactly the way we did. I think we will upgrade to 7.0 or 2000,which I heard they are better.

Good luck with your conversion. I'd definitely say get off 6.5 as soon as you can. 7.0 and 2000 are much better products. I'm currently in the middle of a 6.5 --> 2000 conversion and it's been a royal pain in the backside.

I've actually stumped the techs at microsoft. i'm trying to do a server to server migration as opposed to the single server upgrade option. The sql server upgrade wizard doesn't work. i've been working with microsoft for a little over a week now and still can't do a server to server conversion. We have found a brute force way of doing it, but it's not my preferable choice. Monday, MS support and I will try and tackle the dual server conversion once again.

Ahhh!! Really ?!!

Thanks God that you let me know this. Would you mind to let me know what steps are done when you finish?
I am appreciate this.

No wonder, I am still prefer UNIX. MS is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back