Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master CF won't load--attempting disk replacement with used disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin906

MIS
Aug 4, 2006
US

We are trying to rebuild a V3.0 system disk using a disk from a V5.0 system.
This V5.0 disk was from a decommissioned system.
Every time we try to boot from the HD-CF backup or Master CF V3.0 we see the message below about the wrong APS.
It appears that the system is doing a stare/compare of the V5/V3 and does not want to proceed to load from the Master MO V3.0.
Thus we cannot proceed to initialize and continue with the disk rebuild.

Is there anything we can do with this other than try another hard disk or find one that has been initialized already?
If there is some method to bypass or eliminate this error so we can continue with the STA-INIT procedure?
I have reviewed the error messages in ALFE and cannot find any reference to 8864.

The error message detected at boot time is---

Area found at A1H6E is consistent

WRONG APS -- PLEASE CHANGE HARDDISK
ERROR NUMBER 8864

Why are you trying to load a version 3 system from a version 5 disk ?
The errors are plain - the errors are telling you what is wrong

Wouldn't one use the PC-HD tool to initialize a disk in a pre-V6 system? We spoke of it in class, but did not do the procedure because V5 and older is no longer officially supported. I think the PCHD tool is on Tonido, but someone who knows the appropriate use should speak up before you do anything.

Don Bruechert, Voice Comm Analyst II
CareTech Solutions @ Holy Family Memorial
Manitowoc, WI, USA

The procedure to write a V3 is here on this forum somewhere, I can re-post if necessary

I'm confused about what you're trying to do. A V5 disc won't help you with a V3 unless you just want the physical media and want to overwrite the V5 with the V3. But I'd expect either to boot from a power off if the architecture is correct. What are your steps exactly and what's your master plan?

I realize now this post makes little sense without any context. Short answer--in my position I service many flavors of Hipath/Hicom/Rolm heritage product. The parts that are available are not always refurbished or properly staged for field use. This is one of those occasions where a V3.0 Hipath site has an issue with an HD/CF assembly and the "spare" available is from a decomm'ed Version 5.0 Hipath. No need to trouble yourself further --will figure out some way of pulling this off. Thanks for understanding my request and trying to formulate a logical reply.

I have always found the V3 equipment to be easier to get/use.
You can add an CF Card to V3 if you need as follows:

HiPath 4000 Change from MO Magneto Optical to CF Compact Flash
REG-DDSM;

Delete the MO Disk:
DEL-DLSM:A1,":MOD-SCR:";
DEL-DLSM:A1,":DMS:"&":DSY:";
DEL-DLSM:A1,":CGD:";
DEL-DLSM:A1,":DBDA:"&":DBD:"&":TMD:"&":pAS:"&":AMD:"&":DMP:";
DEL-DLSM:A1,":pDS:";
DEL-DASM:A1,6;
DEL-DCSM:A1,6;

Add the CF Disk: V2/V3
ADD-DCSM:A1,6,HD,"CF1G3";
ADD-DASM:A1,6,3200&992&800&1120&12817,4096&4096&4096&4096&4096;
ADD-DLSM:A1,6,E,":pDS:";
ADD-DLSM:A1,6,F,":DBDA:"&":DBD:"&":TMD:"&":pAS:"&":AMD:"&":DMP:";
ADD-DLSM:A1,6,G,":CGD:";
ADD-DLSM:A1,6,H,":DMS:"&":DSY:";
ADD-DLSM:A1,6,I,":MOD-SCR:";

Add the CF Disk: V4
ADD-DTSM:A1,HD,18932,512,"CF1G3";
ADD-DCSM:A1,6,HD,"CF1G3";
ADD-DASM:A1,6,3200&992&2400&1120&11217&3200&9868,4096&4096&4096&4096&4096&4096&4096;
ADD-DLSM:A1,6,E,":pDS:";
ADD-DLSM:A1,6,F,":DBDA:"&":DBD:"&":TMD:"&":pAS:"&":AMD:"&":DMP:";
ADD-DLSM:A1,6,G,":CGD:";
ADD-DLSM:A1,6,H,":DMS:"&":DSY:";
ADD-DLSM:A1,6,I,":SCR:";

On V4 you can COPY area's E and I to the CF to make a startup V4 CF disk
COPY-DDRSM:A1,1,E,6,E,N;
COPY-DDRSM:A1,1,I,6,I,N;

To find out the ones you can add:
DISP-DTSM:A1,HD;

If the system does not take the "CF1G3" then try "CF2G0" then try "2GIGA" or "STHD5"
If it is a Version 2 you will have to update the Unixware for the CF1G3 to be accepted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back