Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master Browser not working after installing first 2003 DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryoun1b

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2002
US
I have introduced my first 2003 DC as the Schema Master in my active directory Windows 2000/2003 environment. Since then I am not able to browse the domain. My 2003 server is multi honed with two nics. I can browse the domain from my 2003 server, I cannot browse from any other machine in the network.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

A couple questions:

- Do you have multiple domains? If so, what type?

- Why do you have your DC multi-homed?

- Are the client machines joined to the Windows 2003 domain?

Your problem is probably being caused by having your DC multi-homed. All services will not be known on both IP addresses. Probably your master browse announcements are happening on the "other" nic...this may be why your clients can not "see" the server in the browse list.

but we need more information to help you troubleshoot...
-hope this helps..

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

I think you are right on the multi-homed problem. Yes all of the workstations are joined to the 2003 domain, and we are operating on a single domain.

The domain name is different fromt the Netbios domain name as well. Not sure how I can change this.

Thanks.

Why are you using multiple nics?

It doesn't matter that your netbios name is different from your FQDN. The only problem here is that is may be somewhat confusing to some people.

Normally, you'll have something like this...

FQDN = lucent-int.com
Netbios = lucent-int

But I guess you have something like this...

FQDN = lucent-int.com
Netbios = bugsbunny

But there's no techical problem with this...

I think you should either remove the second nic if you can or verify that all bindings and service are registering with the primary nic. Remember two that Windows 200+ domain require DNS to be working properly. So, having two nics and two ip addresses on your DC/DNS server will be problematic. You'll have to make sure that the DNS and Domain is registered to one IP address (unless you have multiple DC's).

-hope this helps...

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Sorry to hijack this thread but we have a win2003 server which has a WAN (slip/ppp) interface. Does this make our DC multihomed as well?

Our browsing comes and goes. When it's down, browmon reports that the DC has 0 servers and 0 Domains...

Once again I apologise for butting in but any help is appreciated.

Peter

Remember- It's nice to be important,
but it's important to be nice :)

What makes it multi-homed is having two IP addresses to the same 2003 server that is running DNS. Once I teamed the NICS or disabled one of the two NIC's, my Computer Browser started working flawlessly.

Hope that helps.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back