Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master Browser - Elections

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplebroom

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2000
GB
Hi

I currently have aproblem with our master browser\PDC. We have a sattelite office on the same LAN but different subnet, recently the workstations at this office have started sending rdr requests to our pdc every 12 minutese requesting an election, this eventually results in the DNS and wins failing on our PDC and having to reboot approximately every 23 hours, we have tried blocking out the udp ports on the router but this just stopped log on services at that office. The best idea I can think of is to put a bdc at that site, but it would be good to know why it has become a problem all of a sudden...

cheers

PBro

Hi,

I have found with this, if you go to the properties of "File/Print sharing", and set
LMAnnounce=No
BrowseMaster=Disable

This should prevent Workstations from forcing elections

Paul

If you don't want too much traffice between the two subnets I reccomend you to use WINS on that remote subnet.
Every time when a user will try to browse the network, there will be such traffic.
Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back