Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mass Mailing woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

perseus

MIS
Sep 13, 2001
US
I have a client that has Exchange 5.5 in an SBS environment. They setup a mass mailing recently and it went as expected for a first time. Numerous bad addresses, etc.. The problem is, after exchange sent the message the first day, it resent to all again on a second and third day. Is there anyway to stop this? Hope you can help.

Thanks,
Jim

BTW, the user used the To: line for all recipient’s instead of the BCC: line if this makes any difference.

The only time I've seen something similar to that is when the Information Store was corrupted with a known bug in Exchange 5.5 sp2 - instaling sp3 took care of it, check the MS site for details. I've got a SBS client that doesn't use their Exchange 5.5 for mass mailings, but they hammer at it pretty hard, with no problems like what you mentioned.

I'd check for the basics - any Exchange error messages or crashes, sufficent drive space on the store & log drives, OS resource issues, message bounces, items stuck in a queue triggering resends, etc...

Also - are you sure it is the same (original) message, and not a relayed Reply or Reply All to the email list? Even with using a BCC it could still be bouncing of the send address on a reply.

Not much to go on, but hope it helps,
Chad Stiller, MCSE
Ramcom Technology
cds@ramcom.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back