Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mass Expiration

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexSti

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2004
US
I have a large amount of tapes that need to be expired. I know of the bpexpdate script, but everytime I use it, it takes about 5-10 minutes on each tape. Having to expire 500 tapes at that rate would cause me to rip my eyeballs out.

Basically all of the tapes in question need to have their expiration dates changed from 6 to 3 months, I understand how that is done within varitas, but it does nothing for the older tapes that need to have their expiration dates changed. I have already written a script that will expire them all using bpexpdate -ev ID_NUMBER -d 0, but as I said earlier, the amount of time required for each tape would tap the host server.

One thing I have noticed, that everytime that I expire a tape, the log file that ... logs the information about the tape grows to an exponential size. I was thinking that stopping Varitas from writing to this gigantic file would speed the process up a bit.

Thanks in Advance!

REXSTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back