Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Masking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt56

Technical User
May 31, 2012
NL
Hi all,

I want to create a template containing a layer mask which in itself is no problem.
However, I want the background of the whole template to be light grey and that's where my problem starts.

This is what I want my template to look like:
mask.gif

The white part is the area where any new artwork should be visible, what's grey should stay grey and the background in the visible area should stay white.

Anyone got any idea how to solve this?

Thanks,
Matt

...use the pathfinder palette to create the grey area as one compound object...position this grey filled compound shape on your top most layer...

Andrew
==============
- Graphic Design and Web Design, Exeter, Devon, UK.
==============

I never found the ideal solution to this problem so I still use the solution of 2 layers, the top layer being the mask and pasting the real content on the bottom layer.

When you open the document you will always be positioned on the top layer by default and that being the mask, you don't want to work on that layer. So you will always need to activate the bottom layer manually.

In order to get reminded to first activate the bottom layer before pasting any artwork on it, I have locked the top layer. It at least warns me if I try to paste any artwork on the locked layer.

I do wish there were a better solution.

...your only options are compound paths, clipping masks and layers.

Andrew
==============
- Graphic Design and Web Design, Exeter, Devon, UK.
==============

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back