Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAS90 Slow After changing to Linksys Gigabit Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntco

Technical User
Feb 8, 2005
US
We are a small business with 22 client machines, running Mas90 version 4.0 on a Windows server. For years we have been using a DLink unmanaged switch with 24 100mbit ports, and 2 gigabit ports.

We decided to upgrade our entire office to gigabit, so we've run all new cabling, swapped out all small switches for gigabit ones, and finally swapped our large Dlink switch for a Cisco Small Business SR2024 24-port unmanaged gigabit switch.

Before changing the last 24-port switch, the network speed, and speed of MAS90, was either the same or faster for most clients. When we changed over to the Cisco switch, we noticed a significant decrease in the speed of MAS90.

Many of the modules take 9-10 seconds to open, and people describe it as being generally sluggish. However, our network speed otherwise (for file sharing) appears to be faster than before, so the problem seems to be specific to MAS90 when hooked up to this particular switch.

Not everyone has a gigabit adapter on their computers, so some people are still running at 100mbit.

Frankly, I'm not sure what to investigate, because it doesn't appear that the switch is broken in any way, so I can't really return it, and it's an unmanaged switch, so there's nothing I can change with it.

Any insight you could offer would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

You might want to post this on community.sagemas.com for better responses.

I don't think you're looking for an issue with MAS90 as much as you're looking for an issue with your network.

Going from 100-mbit to Gigabit is more than just a speed boost; you're also using all 8 wires in the RJ-45 connections, instead of just 4.

Therefore, it is IMPERATIVE that your cables be made properly, following the 568B wiring standard. Spending $30 on a cheap network analyzer that tells you if there are wiring problems will probably solve your problem.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Thanks for the feedback. However, I did use network cable testers when rewiring. Everything checked out fine.

There seems to be some connection with MAS90 and Symantec Antivirus that we're investigating. I'm not sure why this problem would only manifest itself with the gigabit switch, but we're looking into it.

Thanks

You know there is all sorts of documentation about Symantec and MAS90 and the people on community.sagemas.com can tell you all about it.

Mmm... I know that one of the things (no matter the anti-virus), you have to tell it NOT to do a real-time scan on network drives, or MAS will slow to a crawl.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back