Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAS90 Inventory Mgt Capabilities 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradebanker

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2002
US
Can a current user outline MAS90's inventory management strengths and weaknesses for me? We have a client using it for financials, and evaluating using it for inventory management. The plan is to build links to a bar code reader/PC, to exchange batch information about received merchandise, finished product, pick lists, inventory checks, etc. I'm assuming they will have to purchase Visual Integrator, but I'm interested in the core capabilities once they have a way to pull info in and get it out. I've noticed some custom enhancements available for things like having the same product in several bins. Are there similar gaps in other areas?

Some of the biggest deficiencies w/MAS90 inventory:

(1) MAS90 only tracks whse location (MAS90 calls it a "Bin Location") at the item-whse level, not at the item-whse-tier level. Think of LIFO,FIFO,LOT, or SERIALIZED items. You may have several "tiers" of these in the same whse. You'd need the ability to track the location in the whse at the tier level, not at the item-whse level.

(2) No "matrix" inventory. Sizes? Colors? Something like this in MAS90 would require the user to set up a new item code for each variation in size/color/etc.

(3) No tag-numbering system for physical count

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If you have any specific questions - let me know.

Tks - Chris

Chris- thanks for the inventory info. Makes it fairly clear that it will either take custom programming or a separate app to track at the levels they need.

As they are using MAS 90, they could use "add-on" solutions from Scanco ( or Radio Beacon to get detailed bar coding bin tiers and so on. The basics of inventory control are otherwise quite powerful enough in MAS 90/MAS 200 to satisfy most users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back