Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAS90 4.x over a VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrebels

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2005
US
Can you run a MAS90 v4.x over a VPN? I've noticed it's VERY slow. Our remote users only do inquiry - so if there is a faster way for them to access the data, please let me know. Also are there any other alternatives i.e. Terminal Services, Citrix

thanks

I've seen Mas90 run using Citris and PC anywhere, both run fairly quickly since the local termanal doesn't actually do any of the work.

I am using a VPN for a remote site also, and it is slow over a 750K square dsl line, so I feel your pain. If you are using windows XP with SP2, make sure your software firewall is turned off for this, because that will really kill performance.

Hope that helps a bit.

ChaZ

There Are 10 Types Of People In The world:
Those That Understand BINARY And Those That Don’t.

We are using Citrix for our remote MAS users. If the users are only doing inquiry, you could use terminal services instead of Citrix. The biggest reason for using Citrix, for us, is printing and being able to publish applications instead of a desktop.

we use TS, if you are not using a usb printer terminal services print IMHO just as well as citrix does and it is one less piece of software you have to deal with at the end of the day.

MS VPN, then remote desktop into a terminal server with terminal services

it's a great solution

set-up for two companies so far

I haven't used Citrix but it's costly and the other solutions, pcAnywhere, etc ... is not a good idea (based on experience).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back