Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller drivers & 802.1q VLAN Tags?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADB100

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
I am not sure whether this is the correct forum to post this in but I couldn't really see one that is specific to my issue? Anyway here goes....

I have recently been issued with a new Laptop - HP Elitebook 6930p which replaced a HP NC6000. With the NC6000 I purchased a 3COM 3C3FEM656C Cardbus 10/100 LAN+56K Modem & ISDN BRI adapter which I used the 10/100 Ethernet as a separate 'sniffer' for monitoring (using Wireshark). This worked fantastically and, even the ISDN came in handy occasionally with testing. Now the new 6930p doesn't have any PC-Card/PCMCIA slots and only has a ExpressCard/54 slot. Not a big deal I thought as I purchased a generic Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet ExpressCard/34 which works fine but with one issue.
Most modern NIC drivers strip off any 802.1q VLAN tags that are received before sending the frame up the stack as it obviously improves performance for 'normal' operations. Usually you can override this behaviour (on Windows at least) with a registry change - I have sucessfully done this with Intel & Broadcom adapters. Unfortunately I can't find any tricks for this Marvell Yukon Ethernet adapter and I was hoping that someone would have already solved this on here?

Thanks

Andy

Sorry, a bit more searching found me this:

I have just tested it and it is working a treat :eek:)
Why don't manufacturers add this as an 'Advanced' option in the properties from the GUI? I know not everybody needs this functionality but if it's in the advanced settings and the default is to strip the tags then it would make sense to me?

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back