Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MARP -- Need Help Understanding 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopperNH

MIS
Jun 12, 2002
US
Hi Folks,

I need some help understanding MARP. I've noted when doing a print of a DN that a TN may have MARP next to it in the listing of multple TNs. Why is this and what does this mean?

Any help would be appreciated.

MARP= Multiple Appearance Directory Number Redirection Prime. The PBX uses the MARP TN to determine how to redirect calls when a call, to the multiple appearance DN, is forwarded, hunts to another number, etc. Short hunting, however, takes precedence over MARP. There is a section on MARP in the X11 software features guide.

I know it stands for Multiple Appearence Redirection Prime. I've usually seen it when building sets and I want the same DN (extension number) to ring on more than one phone set. The listing of TNs after the MARP promt may be the other TNs that particular extension is also set to ring on. If you see the MARP prompt when building a set, the response is yes or no.

For instance we have an admin assistant who services 5 directors. Each director has there own phone and extension in there office but we also have there extensions programmed to ring on the admin's phone incase they are not in the office. We like to try and have a live person answer the calls before they roll to v-mail.

Hope this helps............

It may help to know where MARP came from:

Originally, call redirection was controlled by the first TN in the TN list. You can see the TN list if you do a DNB lookup in LD 20. Unfortunately, in pre-MARP releases, if you performed a change on a set it changed the oder of the TN list (it does it now too, but because of MARP, it doesn't matter). So if the TN list started out as:

4 0 0 0
4 0 0 1
4 0 0 2

And all of the call redirection options were expected to come from 4 0 0 0; then you performed some sort of change on 4 0 0 1, this is what the TN list would look like:

4 0 0 1
4 0 0 0
4 0 0 2

Now, all of the call redirection options would come from 4 0 0 1. If you wanted to switch them back, you had to do a trivial change to 4 0 0 0. MARP is a way of eliminating this procedure and lock down the way the call redirection options are handled.

Hope this helps...

Thank you all! You've helped clear up the mystery that is MARP (for me). Every little bit helps clarify the big picture. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back