Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Marked disk as active, now can't access it

Status
Not open for further replies.

theomen

Programmer
Jun 2, 2004
GB
A while ago, we bought 3 new Maxtor OneTouch external hard-drives for backups.

However, while I was trying to get them working, in my infinite wisdom I decided that the option under "Computer Management > Disk Management" to set the disk as active would be a good idea.

Unfortunately the server I did this on can no longer read the 2 drives I did this on, it's listed under Disk Management, but when I go to explore it it says "The system cannot find the device specified". However, it can read the third disk, which is marked as Healthy rather than Active.

Both drives can be read on other machines however.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be an option to reverse my destructive actions.

Can anyone help me, please?

First what type of server do you have? Please let me know as this will greatly assist me in helping you through this problem.

Hi, thanks for the response.

The server is a Dell PowerEdge 600SC running Windows 2000 Server.

I tried re-installing the drivers about 15 minutes ago and rebooted, now it won't read the drive which is marked as "Healthy" either, even though I never marked that drive as "Active", and even though it has been backing up to it up to now.

USB Drives, correct? Could be a USB connection issue.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back