Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Margin problems IE vs FF 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwigal

Programmer
Mar 16, 2001
US
Hi--

I'm trying to get some boxes to appear in the same place on both IE and FF, and am having some difficulty doing so:

Take a look at the gray box on the left, and the green box on the right. I basically wanted the edges of both boxes to line up with the interior edge of the simulated drop-shadow graphic on their respective side of the page.

Any idea what I might be able to do to get consistent results? Or is this something I'll just need to live with?

Thanks in advance--

----------
Jeff Wigal
Referee Assistant for MS Access

As a guess, I'd say that you can edit the margin style in the "div#more" rule from this:

Code:
margin: 0 20px 0 0;

to this:

Code:
margin: 0 20px 0 0;
_margin-right: 0px;

If that works, and you want your CSS to validate, then you can include the _margin property in an IE-only CSS linked in with conditional comments, etc.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Thanks, that should do it. I found references on another website to an under-documented bug of IE6 ( a "double margin" bug:

Code:
whenever an element is floated so that it "touches" the edge of it's containing element.. then the float is given a double margin on that side IE.. it's not very well documented that I can see, but it definitely exists.

This was referenced here.

Thanks!

----------
Jeff Wigal
Referee Assistant for MS Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back