Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maps - Mailes per state in route

Status
Not open for further replies.

acent

Technical User
Feb 17, 2006
US
Greetings,

I have a client that needs to obtain the number of miles in each state in a given route. Creating the map via Yahoo or Google is easy, and obtaining the directions and total miles is easy, but is there a way to break down the total miles by state?

I know Google will allow you to programatically create waypoints and then draw the miles between the waypoints, but how do I create the waypoints on the state line with the least amount of effort?

Thanks in advance for pointers.

"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid."
-Murphy's Military Laws

Any ideas out there???

-Murphy's Military Laws

For any interested parties...

I found a workable solution - not perfectly accurate, but works for this app.

1. Create the Google map with the directions
2. Click on a point on the route that where it crosses the state line. This will create a point on the map.
3. On the left side you will noticed the directions are broken up into separate parts, the first part to the state line giving the total miles, and the second fromt he state line to the end destination.

Presto.

-Murphy's Military Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back