Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping table import to columns in an excel sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtcust

Programmer
Oct 26, 2004
US
Hi all.

I need to import a group of excel spreadsheet. They all have the same columns names but are in different order. In sme cases the used has added an extra column or two. See examples below

MS Access Target Table
Column_A Column_B Column_C

Source_Spread_Sheet_1

Source_Spread_Sheet_2
Column_B Column_A Column_C

Source_Spread_Sheet_3
Column_C Column_B Column_A Column_Z

Can I have a generic Access import process that can match the source and target columns above them import the data?

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi,

You are posting in an MS Access forum. Yet you are stating that you want to "import to columns in an excel sheet." IMPORT from Access would be done from Excel, via MS Query. However, if your are in Access, it would be an EXPORT to Excel.

Please clarify.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

I need to import a group of excel spreadsheet into a single MS Access Table. The excel spreadsheets all have the same columns names but are in different order. In some cases the user has added an extra column or two to their particular spreadsheet. See examples below

MS Access Target Table

Source_Spread_Sheet_1
Column_A Column_B olumn_C

Source_Spread_Sheet_2
Column_B Column_A Column_C

Source_Spread_Sheet_3
Column_C Column_B Column_A Column_Z

Can I have a generic MS Access import process, which can match the source spreadsheets columns A, B, and C to the target MS Access Table columns A, B, and C and import the data into the table?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back