Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping shared folders to drives on a standalone PC....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraeg

Programmer
Jun 27, 2002
AU
I'm running Windows 2000 Advanced Server on my PC, which isn't on a network (but has a network card installed). I was under the impression I could map a drive letter to a shared folder on my PC (I have file sharing on), yet it's not happening. Is there a way to do this?

I am about to try it using an old Windows 95 laptop connected by parallel cable (I need a few mapped drives to test an application I am writing).

u could try using SUBST from a command line (think it still works under 2000 server, but I'm more than happy to be corrected)
Alternatively you could try right clicking on the folder ya wanna share, setup a share and then map to that in the usual manner. If ya need more details let us know.

Drive letters using SUBST show up as local drives (so it works under W2K Adv Svr) in my App (mapped ones will show up as remote).

I had tried the sharing etc. Now I am wrestling with this Direct Cable Connection.

I just opened 'My network places', selected one of my local shares, rightclicked and chose 'Map network drive' and just accepted the defaults. Worked like a charme! But yes, my W2K(Pro + Srv) is on a real (W2K) network, so...

Goodluck
TonHu

I got it..... I didn't have IPX/SPX installed.

I wouldn't know why you would need the Novell protocol just to do some simple networking? TCP/IP would/should do nicely, and you probably have that for internet access?
I'm just glad I DON'T have IPX/SPX installed, in these days it just a bloat on y'r system...

HTH
TonHu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back