Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mapping network drive from Win 2K to Win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgfan1606

Technical User
Feb 12, 2002
US
pc1 - Win2k Pro computer name=Janel pswrd= book
pc2 - Win 98 se computer name=1 pswrd=hunter2
pc3 - Win 98 se computer name=2 pswrd=hunter1
pc4 - Win 98 se computer name=3 pswrd=hunter3

The TCP/IP peer to peer is working fine. PC2 has a database it shares with all other computers. I naturally shared the folder as its own name "QS2000". So the path is \\1\qs2000 and has a password of 8155 for full permissions.

I mapped a drive at each workstation and all connect fine...except the Win2K machine. The original Win2k user "administrator", which has a password of 8155 will connect to all shares upon logging on. The problem comes when I add users and map a drive under their names. I added two additional users: Janel and Krysta. When one of them attempts to login...the shares always pops up a window asking for the share password..which is 8155...they enter it and all is fine. How do I get this to automatically connect at login for these users. I have tried the login as a different user routine and used all kinds of combinations from Administrator/8155 to the the Win 98 login and pswrd. It works fine for the administrator password, but not any other users on the Win 2K machine. I am sure a batch file is the answer...but I am not sure how to do it. As you can see...I am not a professional at this...only a do-it-yourselfer.

Thanks for any help.

Tru using the net use /? command. There is an option to map the drive and input the user and password at the same time.

NET USE
[devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
[/USER:[domainname\]username]
[/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
[/USER:[username@dotted domain name]
[/SMARTCARD]
[/SAVECRED]
[[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]

NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]

Also, if this is a shared folder, have you gone into the properties of the folder and make sure they are in there to give them access? Or do you have everyone in the folder for sharing permisissions? Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"Things are not always as they seem;
the first appearance deceives many."
Phaedrus (15BC - 50AD) Roman poet, short-story writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back