Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping Form fields to workflow step

Status
Not open for further replies.

scnuser

Technical User
Jun 16, 2015
IN
Hi Experts,

I have defined a Form to Initiate a workflow in Content Server. I am able to initiate the workflow but not able to map the Form field to the workflow step.

Suppose in my Form if I have a Title a text field, Manager a user field, Attachments and Comment field.
When i fill the details in Form and click on Submit,
1) I want the Title to be mapped to Workflow Name in the start step.
2) Comment field to start step comments section
2) Manager to the user who will process the next step(Second Step in my workflow) after start step.

How can i achive this?

Thanks & Regards
Scnuser

Do you program in oscript? If so these tasks are very possible to achieve if not your design should be flexible to what OT has given you
For eg your Manager can be a straight form step assignment you can just create a big text box and call that comments.
If you have done some good work before like request handlers,subtypes etc then workflow and form has internal oscript api's that are worth looking at
I posted my title form passing event script somehere in 2004 in communities.opentext.com
WFdata structures and form api are very not well documented so it will take a good effort if you go this route
If you have rest api or some wf tools like GCI then it may be possible without a lot of code
This website called schwiiz.org shows people how Christopher Meyer has wrapped the internal oscript api to be more like modern OO programming

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

Hi AppuNair,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have little bit of experiance in Oscript coding.

I got one of your previous post related to this issue.

In the last reply of the mentioned post you said "Also the form template userid should easily be trapped in your case,what is that ultimately you are trying to acheive,are you trying to use the form value to map out the next performer,in that case that is standard livelink you don't need an event script anyways."

Part of my requirment will be achived with this, that is if my Form has a User field, the I have to set that user as the Performer of the next step.

I tried in Callback GeneralEventScript and PerformerEventScript but could not set the Assignee.

I tried placing at few places when the Workflow is initiated by submitting a Form. I see the initiated Mapinfo section with all the Tasks in my workflow. If i set the PERFORMERID of my desired step with the value, will that be assigned for the next step? what i noticed is that the WORKID generated here is different from the WORKID value in the GenaralEventScrit.

Can you help me out that how can i set the PERFORMERID of a step with the value of a Form field?

Thanks & Regards
Scnuser

no look at this seqence you may try this with 1 or steps workflow.So in our fictitious workflow it is like this Start Step this is a auto step that you cannot get past it is required by OT code.Lets say your map looks like this Start->User Step->Milestone.Now start adding a WF attribute called performer and make sure at the start step you say "this attribute is mandatory" so you will be at a screen where you cannot proceed without filling that.Now on your map find the setting that says "make perfomer based on wf attribute" then if you do this right then the assignment will be done by the user you selected.Now on a copy of the workflow map remove the wf attribute and make sure you create a form template and do the same,this time where you set the performer make it to be the form template user.So if you understand this example then you can know that it does not take programming to make assignments of users in any further/forward step.

Eventscripts are used when you want something to be done that does not come easily perhaps you want the title of the workflow to become the forms title and so on.I would not ever use a event script to assign performers because that is already given to you without the ues of any programming.Another e;g where eventscripts come into play is say you have a parlel step and assume for a moment that there are 10 people who needs to do something and lets' say 6 people have done it and another 4 peple are holding it then you would create a event script that can depending on your business rule do the 4 assignemnts and move the workflow forward.

I would suggest upcoming workflow developeers to do WF Design,1 ,2 and if possible 3 before thinking you need programming to do certain things because livelink workflow is designed to be painted by business users for the most part based on business logic rather than involved oscript programming.

BTW each step in a workflow data structure has a taskid that is how the program knows how to move the steps.I have put in this forum a worrd document that shows how the wf map becomes task in tables for some other user who asked about it

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back