Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping drives in Win2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

NedThePsycho

Technical User
Sep 29, 2000
US
Howdy y'all - We are running ERP software that requires a mapped resource on the server (Win2000 Adv Svr). We need to map a drive to a local shared resource. Mapping a drive to itself, in other words. No can do? it times out every time I try it. Would appreciate any feedback before bringing it to a MS engineer. Thanks in advance -

Browse to your own computer using network places. In there you can map a local shared ressource to a logical drive letter.

fpoo - Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it on 2 clients and 1 (Win2k standard) server, but each time it timed out. I am able to browse through the shares on each local machine, but when I right click on the shared resource to get a context menu it freezes the shell. What am I missing?

A quick and dirty way to do this is to open a DOS-Box and just SUBST your drive.

For Example if you want drive D: to be read as drive I:

just type: SUBST I: D:\ you can also include subdirecotries here.

The drivemapping shows up with a red X in My Computer but still works. As I told you its a bit of a dirty trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back