Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mapping drive to computer not in domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobnz

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
NZ
I have tried mapping a drive to a folder on the server from a pc that is on the network, but not in the domain. The user logs on to the local machine not the domain.
I set it to reconnect at logon and to logon as another user.
The other user being a user in the domain with rights to the folder. But everytime the user logs on the the mapped drive is
not connected and the connection has to be restablished by dbl clicking the drive and entering user and password. How can I get this to work?

Have you tried at cmd file?

net use z: \\pcname\share /user:domain\username password

the only thing is it will leave the user name and password visible

thanks for the reply,

net use works but the user is still getting the prompt for the password.

C:\Documents and Settings\Bob>net use g: \\jack\shared\games /user:bob\bob1 xxxxxx

when I logon to the local machine as local user the reconnection to \\jack\shared\games fails wrong username or pwd, both of which are right? so I reenter pwd and the connection goes through??

B

You will always get a prompt for a password. AFAIK, it's not possible to set up a trust between a standalone server and a domain.

have you tried to delete the mapped drive?

net use g: /d
net use g: \\jack\shared\games /user:bob\bob1 xxxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back