Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping a network drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruggi02

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2007
US
Hello, I have a MS 2003 DC with alot of shared folders. I'm starting to have problems with two of them. When i search for a computer and enter the sercer's name it pop up i can access the drive that i want, but when i map it and try to use it it say's "Access is denied". This problem just started happening, all the foldes have the same permisions and rights. Also any new folder that i create i can't map.

This question would be better suited to forum931.

faq562-6500 Network Appliance - the company

There are folder permissions, and there are share permissions. Make sure the share permissions are set to your specifications.

Remember that if you've removed the "inherit permissions" checkbox in the security tab, any newly created or copied folders in the directory will not inherit perms set on the root OR retain perms from the original location (respectively).
For NTFS perms, Copy retains, Move inherits.

I've had to go to the security tab and check the "replace permissions on child containers", apply, and it'll force propagation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back