Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mapping a drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

psnead

Programmer
Jul 5, 2000
DK
I am running winxp home edition and trying to map a drive to a folder on my companies server (win2003)...I have an account on the server.

I can ping the server, but when I try to map the drive I get an error stating:

"The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured: Element not found."

In the Map Network Drive dialog I supply the folling info for folder,

\\servername\sharedfolder

where sharedfolder is the name of a folder on the c drive.

can someone point me in the right direction?

Is "sharedfolder" the name of a SHARE on the destination server, or is it the name of a FOLDER? Folders have to be shared out, and once they are shared, they get a sharename. The sharename is often the same name as the folder, but not always. For example, there may be a folder on the C: drive of a server called "Management Docs" but the sharename might be set to "manage" or something.

Try this:

Open up a command line. Type "net view \\servername". It should prompt you for credentials, supply them in this format: "domain\username" and then your password when it is asked for. The results should show you a list of all the shared drives on your server. Then you can try and map a drive to "\\servername\sharename" based on a sharename that you know exists.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back