Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping A Drive ????? help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jscter

Programmer
Jul 15, 2000
EU
Hi<br><br>Anyone know how to map a dive in windows 95? So that <br>everytime the computer is switched on it automatically maps<br>the drive, without having to do it manually??????<br><br>Is there a small batch program that can be written and put in the startup directory or something?<br><br>cheers<br><br><br>jscter

Go in to Win Explorer. Click Tools, then Map Network Drive.<br>Select a drive and type in the net path you want to access. To make it auto-reconnect, click the checkbox that says Reconnect at logon. Also, make sure in your network properties for MS Client that Logon and Restore Conncections is selected. You will then be able to see a box after logon that tells you what drives Windows is connecting.<br><br>Hope this helps! <p>Phil Hunt<br><a href=mailto:philh@dqc.com>philh@dqc.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I think simply putting &quot;dir a:\&quot; in autoexec.bat should do the trick. I don't know of anything in Windows that will do it, unless there is an expected file on a: that never changes...<br> <p>Clive<br><a href=mailto:clive@digitalsky.co.za>clive@digitalsky.co.za</a><br><a href= > </a><br>I assemble and sell these things.

The Dir command simply lists the files in a given directory (folder). The command you gave will simply read the floppy and output the contents of A:\ on the screen. Press ESC on the Win95 startup screen to see what's happpening in DOS in the background. You'll see the output. <p>Phil Hunt<br><a href=mailto:philh@dqc.com>philh@dqc.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I assume Jscter is not talking about mapping a network drive, but talking about determining the contents of a stiffy disk to avoid the normal delay when accessing it with explorer. Stiffy drives have a device to that notifies the OS when a stiffy has been changed (unlike a CD-ROM). Unless the OS receives this notification it will recall the contents on subsequent browses without having to read the FAT each time.<br>If he is talking about mapping a network stiffy drive then obviously he only has to check the &quot;re-connect at logon&quot; box. I think?? <p>Clive<br><a href=mailto:clive@digitalsky.co.za>clive@digitalsky.co.za</a><br><a href= > </a><br>I assemble and sell these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back