Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapped network drive - slow access from workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

eljainc

Programmer
Mar 23, 2004
US
We have Windows Server 2008 R2 set up at one of the clinics. A hard drive is shared with full access to the users. Windows XP Home and Windows 7 machines access the drive through a shared drive letter (NET USE F: \\SERVER\F). The speed of which the files are accessed are quite slow. I have a Windows machine here on a network which houses shared folders and the access is much faster. Both are on a 1 Gigabit network.

What are some things I can set on either the clients or server that will improve the speed. The read speed really is noticeably slow on the Win2008 R2 Server.

If the event logs on your server show no issue, start by checking to see if the your speed/duplex settings aren't hardcoded on your server. For 1Gbps you should be set to auto/auto. Also check to see what are the differences in how these two machines are physically connected (are they on the same switch, VLAN, etc). If it doesn't look like it's a network issues, check to see if the system is being "taxed" in any way i.e. check for things like antivirus scans are running, processes chewing up resources, etc.

Download a throughput tester such as NetIQ Qcheck. If the throughput is not up to par, then get a CAT5 certifying tester out and check the wires.

SMB signing issues are still around, enabled it can slow some networks considerably.

Different issue then the above, SMB protocol version, I had to switch a few 2008 servers back to the older version, as some older Office versions and older programs choked with the newest (default) in place. Eg excel/word files opening or closing extremely slow, minutes vs seconds.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back