Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapped Network drive disconned after Windows 1809 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello all,
We have about 15 in house PCs that were updated to 1809 before MS pulled it back due to files being deleted and all of those have an issue where our Mapped Network drives appear offline after a reboot. If you double click on any of them, they immediately launch so they are functional. It only affects PCs with 1809. All 1803 machines work fine. I have tried everything I can find on the net dealing with this process. I'm hoping someone else out there is having this issue as well so it isn't a localized issue. My best guess is that one of our mapping GPO's and the 1809 update are conflicting although if I remove all GPO's and run gpupdate /force on an troubled machine it still has the issue.

Any reg fix Ive googled hasn't worked. Removing all GPO's from that machine doesn't work. It isn't just a user profile thing because even a new profile with a new mapping to something totally different does it. It isn't the PC because it is happening to Lenovo and Dell machines alike. If we reinstall Windows w/ 1803 the issue goes away. Im up for any and all fixes thrown at this posting and will happily let you know if I've tried them. (Likely so...) Since the 1809 update was installed 2 weeks ago, we cannot just roll back the PC's either. The only option we have that I can see is a reinstall since we do not backup individual PC's here since all data is on our employee server. Any thoughts and recommendations are welcome. The latest Restore point we have is from a couple days ago so that wont help either..... Drawing at straws here.

P.S. I know I could do a logon script that basically calls the mapped drives and that would at least band-aid the issue. Not wanting to have a temp solution in place though.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

The same things happens on Windows 7. Every time I reboot the workstation and I open file explorer I have a big RED X over all the network connections. I click on each network drive and they immediately go green and everything works. Only after I reset the drives do I load software that uses the mapped drives. I have done extensive research on this issue and the end result is that Microsoft doesn't care and will do nothing about it.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Yea that is what Ive gathered so far from all of my research. The odd thing is, if we wipe the PC and reload W10 the issue goes away. I haven't been brave enough to upgrade one of those to W10 Ver 1809 yet to make sure that is what is causing it.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

@Beilstwh - Are you running a logon script or something to initiate those connections or just dealing with it and manually opening the maps?

I am not running a script to setup or clear the connections. The mappings are defined in the network login script for our division and the mapping is fine for the 10 mapped drive. But after a reboot the mapped drives always fail in local applications until I go into explorer and click on each mapped drive. Once I do the drive is fine until I logout or reboot again. I found a number of references to the problem in the Microsoft knowledge base and basically their attitude was who cares, click on the drives and it clears the problem.

This is NOT a new problem in windows 7. It has been happening for years and Microsoft (like always) doesn't give a damn about their customers. It's one of the reasons that I setup my home computer to dual boot Linux and windows 10. Linux is a much more stable Operating System and if there is a problem the community has it fixed within a few days or a maximum of a few weeks.

Bill
New York State, USA

in group policies enabled "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon"
then Map the drives using a login script.

This is the only solution for 1809 if you can not roll back to 1803

Shares on Server 2008, 2012r2 have this problem when connecting on windows 10 1809

in group policies enabled "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon"
then Map the drives using a login script.
This is the only solution for 1809 if you can not roll back to 1803

I have this policy enabled on my local windows 7 machine Group Policy's for over a year and it makes NO difference.

Bill
New York State, USA

@rdoubrava We have two maps on everyone's PC due to two programs that need them mapped to talk to the Databases of each program. They are a 2012 and 2016 Windows OS. The maps were all done at PC setup and not done by a logon script originally. I did set up a GPO to do it for all PCs but I did it right at the same time we upgraded a few machines to 1809 and I wasnt sure if my GPO broke the mapping or the update. Since all PCs with the 1809 update are the only ones having this issue, it makes since that there is something in 1809 that is not happy with them.

@Beilstwh I have seen and read about this happening back in the XP - W7 days as well but Im not sure if they are due to the same cause or not. Since there still isnt a universal fix for those machines, I am less than optimistic that the 1809 upgrade will receive any patch to fix it either.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back