Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapped Drives vs. UNC paths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clk430

Programmer
Sep 21, 2005
US
6.7 (268) Win2K

If I have a map that, on source event, pulls a files from a LAN folder, would it be faster if the drive were mapped vs a UNC path or does it not matter?

The said map is blob in/blob out.

Also, is it possible to get a "source not available" if the network is busy in this same scenario?

Mapped drive would have less traffic. Speed probably the same.
In either case, you could get source not available if network is busy.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

I see. So, good coding practice would be to map the drives rather than use the UNC paths in regards to Mercator?

And, dumb question, but I know what a UNC path is, but what does that acronym stand for??

UNknown Crud? Unified National Connection? University of North Carolina?

UNC path

Universal/Uniform Naming Convention. A UNC path describes the location of a volume, directory, or file.

The format for a UNC path is \\server\volume\directory\file and is not case-sensitive. For example:

\\Shared1_svr\Shared1\WGroups\Network\Orders.xls

Rather than describe the location of a file or directory by drive letter, the Network Group will typically communicate a UNC path to describe the actual location of a file or directory. Windows drive letter mappings are arbitrary, whereas a UNC path is specific and applies to all operating systems.

Note: The UNC method started with the UNIX operating system. UNIX uses the forward-slash character as a path separator. Many network services (ex. FTP) have their origins in the UNIX operating system, so they use forward-slashes instead of the backslashes that DOS/Windows uses. It is important to recognize this distinction when using these services.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

I am cutting and pasting this to an email to send to my team. You have solved the mystery. :)

I was thinking UnNecessary aCronym. Eh, not as funny as yours, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back