Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapped Drives keep dropping

Status
Not open for further replies.

op2918

MIS
Apr 23, 2001
CA
Hi, Please help me on a strange one. I am getting complaints from various users that their H drive (personal network drive) drops connection. I have checked our HP Procurve status and the link is good. I tried mapping the h drive via "net use h: \\server\z%username%$ However that gives an error 67. I mapped the h drive at the PCs and that works but this intermitant drop problem keeps occuring...

Any ideas!?!

thanks

I sort of have the same problem.
When someone is on the map drive, then the next person that is trying to map to the same drive can't. I don't know why that happens.

Sounds like you've exceded the number of connection licenses for your Windows 2000 server.

Well the license would probablt be an issue, but why would it just drop the H drive and not the common drive (mapped as I:\) Very strange, ps Glad to hear i am not the only one..here is the log on script...
@echo off
net use j: \\lsfs1\apps
net use h: \\lsfs1\z%USERNAME%$
net use L: \\lsfs1\LDrive
net use i: \\lsfs1\common

errors on the net use H...line...

Why not map them in windows explorer instead? Sometimes net use has to disconnect before it can connect to another. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931); US inventor.

I thought using the dos prompt or using Windows Explorer did the same thing.

I don't think so. I use net use when I need something like and old dos program to use a tcp/ip printer. I use net use lpt1 servername/printername. Pretty much a simple batch file. You may be right, it's just I've never tried it like that. (Have you added persistant /yes to the end of the net use line to make sure it keeps it?) Glen A. Johnson
gjohn76351@msn.com

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931); US inventor.

Thanks for your input, I do map the H drive now with explorer (and have also used the dos command to do this) however it still drops. Most noticably in Access whereby the users will get a disk error when the connection drops...again the network seems fine and switch reports no link drops....

frustrating as you can imagine..

thanks and if you have any other ideas they are appreciated..

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but did you check the box that says reconnect at logon? Glen A. Johnson
gjohn76351@msn.com

"I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act."
G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936); British author.

You are forgiven...yes I did, it is set to re-connect

good thinking tho...

typing in net helpmsg 67 at the dos prompt gives an error message of the network name cannot be found.

I dont know if this will help but here goes. Try going to dos and mapping that way using the persistant switch.

net use t: \\server\temp [persistent:yes]

this sometimes helps.
Also when does it loose connection? Are you using DHCP? (If so it may get disconnected when the lease is used up.) What are the users doing when it disconnected? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

If using W98 clients there is a patch for mapped drives I dont know if it fixes that particular problem, but I noticed it yesterday when running windows update on a W98 machine.

Hi,
I have the same problem. Someone has given me a usefull tip
(prescot9)
Some newer pc's have NICs that support being "Shut Down To Save Power". IBM laptops support this feature, and it's enabled by default!
Although you're using a Compaq, try this to see:
1.) Right click the "My Computer" icon.
2.) Select the "Hardware" button.
3.) Go down the list to "Network Controllers", and expand the category.
4.) Highlight your Ethernet Controller, and choose "Properties".
5.) If power-down features are supported, you'll either see a "Power Settings" tab, or perhaps an "Advanced" tab, (dependes on manufacturer), but click that tab!
6.) If power saving for the NIC is enabled, simply clear the checkbox
Maybe this will help Kurtie

Could you send along the location of that patch for Win 98 clients?

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back