Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mapped drive not remembering credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2001
US
Hi,

I have 3 XP Pro sp2 workstations that have a custom drive mapping to a NAS device on my network. This device runs a Linux kernel, so it doesn't handle AD authentication. I've created local user accounts for all 3 users on the device.

When I created the drive mapping on each machine, I entered the uname/pwd in the "Connect using a different username" option, and checked the "reconnect at logon" box.

On 2 of the workstations, they can connect just fine. On the 3rd workstaiton, the drive maps but when she clicks on it she gets an error "incorrect password or unknown username for \\server\share" and her *domain* credentials are displayed in the Connect To: box. If I put in the device uname/pwd, she can get in just fine.

why is WinXP not remembering her credentials like it's supposed to?

Try this...on the problem workstation and under the users account, go to Control Panel> User Accounts> click the link to manage your passwords and fill out the proper information and see if that will fix it.

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP

Also, is the user not given an option to 'Remember my password' when you re-enter the credentials? You could also try disconnecting the mapped network drive and re-map it filling out all the proper information again. If this doesn't work for you try the 'manage your passwords' option I gave above.

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back