Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAPI without MAPI controls 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Feb 3, 2003
NL
I've created an application that uses MAPI to send an error log to me.

The VB MAPI controls use the installed MAPI compliant mail client to send this mail. In most cases this is MS Outlook. Since Outlook was vulnerable to virus attacks, MS created the well known security patch that shows a popup when trying to send an email with the VB MAPI controls. Something like: "Someone is trying to send an email on your behalf".

Can anyone help me to some documentation or examples on how to send email with MAPI without using the VB MAPI controls?

Greetings,
Remko

Both the Outlook and CDO object models are protected but the MAPI subsystem isn't. I've got a class that wraps the "B" functions in Mapi32.dll so you don't have to use the MAPI controls but this (to my surprise) still invokes the warning messages.

If the Outlook client is configured in c/w mode and connecting to Exchange server, MS provide a form that can be installed in a public folder and used to turn off the warning messages.

Another way is to automate Outlook using Dimitri Streblechenko's Redemption control. It's written in C and bypasses the guarded portions of Outlook and CDO by calling the MAPI functions directly.

More info about both these options is available at
Paul Bent
Northwind IT Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back