Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapi Export

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBBJWS

Programmer
Jun 7, 2001
US
I have been having problems with Mapi exporting. If I set Outlook or Outlook Express as my default email service the export works ok. If I try to set Hotmail as the email service, I get this error message:
Error 2 returned by function <MapiResolveName>
I can go into word and send an email through Hotmail just fine. I am aware that I have some workarounds available, but I am trying to help out a customer who has his mind set on having it work &quot;correctly&quot;.
I have tried this with hotmail both open and closed and get the same result.
CR 8.5 Win2000 machine.

I believe that error message indicates your Recipient
e-mail address is not recognized.

hth,
- Ido CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Thanks for the quick replies. I don't think the recipient email address is the problem, I have used several and they all seem to work under outlook or OE, they only fail under Hotmail.

I am not certain that Hotmail is Mapi compliant, there are two things that lead me to believe it is though: 1. It is an option when I set me default mapi client and 2. I can go to Word, open a document, send to mail recipient as attachment. Word fires up IE/ hotmail and I can send the document ok. It seems to be something specific to crystal.

Perhaps your Recipient address is available in an address book within Outlook, but that addressbook is not available when using MAPI directly. Are you using &quot;raw&quot; addresses or nicknames?

Cheers,
- Ido CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

I have had a similar problem using Netscape as my email client. Using CR8.5 and VB6, I was trying to email the reports as an attachment from within my program. As long as the email address resided in my address book there was no problems, however if the address was not there I would get a runtime error. The only way I was able to tell there was even an error was to step through my VB code, trying to do the same from within Crystal Reports there is no indication of an error. The email just simply is not sent.

I tested this on a machine that has Outlook and it sends just fine. According to Crystal Decissions if the email is not 100% MAPI complient, they cannot be responsible for the problem. The only email clients they say are 100% complient are Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Mail and Microsoft Exchange (KB article c2011985).

I guess using anything but Microsoft is a no no if you want CR to work properly.

Jeff

Thanks alot for the microsoft kb reference!

It is a Crystal Decissions KB article, not Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back