Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAPI 32 error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

karsh

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2002
IN
this is problem with MS outlook 2000. whenever the user tries to use send & receive, it gets hanged. there is only one email in the outbox, which i cant delete either, doesnt do anything after tryin to delete it.
the error during this process is something related to MAPI32.exe has generated and error and the outlook will be closed. any ideas?
thanks

Hi karsh. This stuck email in outbox problem seems to occur when an email is replied to. I don't know why, (anybody?)but I know how to clear it. (We use outlook97):
1. In outlook, goto tools, services, highlite internet email and click properties.
2. Select the connection tab and select the 'I connect manually'. Click apply & ok your way out.
3. Exit outlook. Press ctrl+alt+delete and look for and kill the mapis32. (may have to do this a couple times.
4. Restart outlook. Goto the outbox & now you can delete the message.
5. Do step 1 again.
6. select the connection tab & set it back to 'I use lan connection'. Click apply & ok your way back out.
7. Do step 3 again, then you can use outlook as usual.

Goog luck & lemme know if this doesn't work for you.
Keith

Hi rouse
thanks for the reply. The problem is its not even letting me do that. when i do that i have the same error saying mapi32.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. you wil have to restart the program. one thing is sure, tht thts the only message which is messing up the thing.
when i try to open it from the outbox, i get an error as "cant open this item. mapi spooler has already begun transmitting the message"
thanks again.

Hey karsh,
I hope your .pst file is under 2gig. I've heard outlook has problems otherwise. Still may be able to recover as follows...

If the 'mapis32.exe has generated errors..." occurs when you are trying to kill it with the ctrl-alt-del method, then ok, let it die. And just to be sure, hit ctrl-alt-del again to be sure it's not running in the task list. Also, don't try to open it, just hilite it & delete. Repeat as needed.

Alternately, try this before you fire off outlook:

Goto the control panel & select 'mail & fax' to get to the 'internet e-mail' connection properties. Set it to manual connect (I can't remember exactly how it presents itself in ol2000, but you need to trick your outlook into NOT trying to send or receive when you start it). This seems to prevent the mapis32 devil taking control of your outbox, allowing you to kill the stuck email.

Gotta kill that mapis32 process, otherwise you won't be able to delete the stuck mail in the outbox. Be sure you do not have outlook set to start when you boot windows. Check your startup folder & remove it from there. Also, kill winword if you see it running (assuming you have word set to be the e-mail editor).

After you select to connect manually & QUIT outlook, make sure mapis32 is not running with the ctrl alt delete method.

If sucessful with above, then you can start your outlook, open the outbox & delete the stuck message. Then all you gotta do is go back to the internet email properties & set it back to 'I use a lan', or whatever you had before.

I'd like to know if you succeed.
Keith

hey keith
Thanks for ur response, actually it worked atleast for deleting the stuck mail.
but still i m not able to solve tht mapi32 error. when i try to send some new email again it gets stuck in outbox.
dont know wht to do.
thanks though

Hi again,
There is a utility to fix the mapi32.dll file. This is a paste from MS support when I did a search on fixmapi:
Workaround
If the Fixmapi utility does not correct the error message, use the following steps:
Quit all open programs.
Rename the Mapi32.dll file in C:\Windows\System to Mapi32.old.
Locate the Fixmapi.exe file in C:\Windows\System, and then double-click Fixmapi.exe to run the program.
Restart your computer.
More Information
Traditionally, the Windows Messaging Subsystem (WMS) installs the core MAPI files in the C:\Windows\System folder. Earlier versions of Outlook access the files from that location; In Outlook 2000, the key MAPI files are stored in a common location.

"Simple Mapi" applications, such as Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape, and other 3rd party applications install and access the Mapi32.dll file from C:\Windows\System. Applications that support "Simple MAPI" allow you to send documents by clicking Send To on the File menu.

The Mapi32.dll file in the System folder is also used by Microsoft Fax.

If the Microsoft Exchange System Manager (ESM) is installed on your computer, running Fixmapi.exe fixes Microsoft Outlook, but it also breaks the ESM. If you have the ESM installed, please follow the steps in the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q243659 XFOR: Exchange Migration Wizard Stops Responding After You Use Outlook 2000
Specifically, follow the steps to add the FixMAPI value to the registry. If you have already run Fixmapi.exe and the ESM is broken as a result, reinstall the ESM and then follow the steps shown in Q243659.

*** Me again, I think you can find the fixmapi.exe on your cd, but may be able to download it also. I know how frustrating that mapi error is. Hope THIS gets you there.
Cya - Keith

Thanks for your help Keith. I had the same problem on a win98 machine with Outlook97, which had a email 'stuck' in the outbox. Your first solution worked like a charm...

Thanks again,

AlwaysLearning25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back