Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAPD Maintenance Contract Question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparker001

Technical User
Oct 17, 2006
US
I have a Definity G3si V9. My question is: I see 3 boards listed on my "list config all" that are all unused (all ports show "u"). Two are "Reserved Langate", Vintage MAPD - and one is "MAPD Board", Vintage 000002 - again, unused. If these are totally unused in my system, then I shouldn't need to cover something under maintenance that is not in use in the first place, right? Our last IT Director approved the most recent maint. contract last yr that included very pricey coverage on these items, and they were unused back then as well (could be he just didn't know what he was approving!) If anyone can help with this one, I sure would appreciate it! Thank you.

I can't tell you for sure that their is nothing is working off those packs, however most of the time a "u" is an indication that nothing is assigned to it. Look on the backplane of the carrier or your port distribution and make sure nothing is strapped to those packs.

The maintenance agreements are done by the number of ports that you have in your system at the time that Avaya dials in and does their "list configuration all".

Normally I will go above and beyond and make sure that every pack that is not being used (at that time) is unseated so it will not list them as ports in my system.

So yes, it would be a good idea to remove all you can before your agreement comes up for renewal.

"You don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stopped playing."

The MAPD takes 3 slots of real estate in the PBX (typically ex. 1A15, 1A16 and 1A17).
The far right is the actual onboard PC loaded with UNIX. Stations are administered as 1A1701, etc..
"mikeydidit" is correct - as ports for DLG or CVLAN are assigned on the MAPD and stations in the PBX created as ASAI or ADJ-LK those "u"s change to a port number.
You have a MAPD for CTI functions such as; NICE recording, WITNESS, Verint; Cisco call routing, or any other desktop API that does 3rd party call control. If the site no longer provides that capability, then by all means - unseat the card and remove the administered stations.
The amphenol for that 3rd right slot is an "octopus" cable for the modem and Ethernet and could be shielded or unshielded.
Contact your AV Acct Mgr (or Bus Partner) and have it removed from maintenance.
I T-3 supported CTI for AV and know that it is expensive to carry maintenance, as you indicated for coverage.
Hope this helps. ;) THANKGODIMACOUNTRYBOY

MAPD Guidelines:
1. Move as few circuit packs as possible.
2. Locate three contiguous slots in the DEFINITY system Cabinet. The right
most slot must be a port slot, (indicated by purple color).
3. Three MAPD system assemblies per carrier are permitted. One per carrier
is preferred so that one carrier power supply failure will not take down
multiple units.
4. Start placement from the left side of the carrier.
5. Placement in a DEFINITY system Multi-Carrier Cabinet should be such
that MAPD system assemblies are not vertically aligned. For example, in a
standard reliability R6si system if the TN801B board in the assembly is
placed in slot 7 of the J58890AH control carrier A, then the second TN801B
board could be placed in slot 18 of the port carrier B, and the third in slot 12
of the port carrier C.
6. For ProLogix, the preferred slots are 06 and 07 in the cabinet.

The MAPD is in reality a BRI circuit pack with a UNIX PC in a Mother/Daughter board type of relation and a bus to bridge the two. The BRI signal (ASAI) from CM is sent to one of 12 BRI ports on the circuit pack. This is similar to a D channel message to a port on a trunk circuit pack.

ASAI is really BRI with some additional proprietary capabilities added. when the UNIX server recieves the data, it performs a BROUTER functionality and creates a TCP/IP packet and sends the message to the client.

Like a station circuit pack, if you are not using all 12 ports, the LI CONFIG ALL command will show U on any unassigned ports.

Support for MAPD is not sold on per port, but on CVLAN or DLG applications on the board. each app can configure up to 8 ports, for a total of 12 on the board.

If you are using DLG and not CVLAN (or vise-versa), you should inquire about having the unused SW package removed and renew maintenance on the app you are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back