Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Map to drives from Win95 to W2k Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Can someone please help me out...
I am mapping drives from a Win'95 client to a W2K-Server.
The shared structure on the server looks simulated like this:
D:\data\maindata\clientdata
When I try from the '95 client to map the drive throught manual NET USE or using Explorer I am not able to map it directly to clientdata. We have applications that uses the root drive as refference and the root drive is supposed to be on the client machine (clientdata) and not \\data\maindata\clientdata

So, which directory is shared: data, maindata or clientdata?

The dir structure on the server looks like this (D:\data\maindata\clientdata). I have shared (data) that is the root with sub directories and one of them is (maindata) and maindata have again a sub dir (clientdata). I want to map (clientdata) on user machines to look as if it's the root directory. It works on the W2K-Pro machines but the Win'95 clients just doesn't want to map it like that. On client machines it is supposed to look something like this (g:\clientdata) and NOT (g:\data\maindata\clientdata).

You need to set share permissions on the clientdata folder for Win95 to mount it. ________
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

As Jasen said, WIN95(and 98 i think) won't do a net use to a sub of the share specified. It does work in XP and maybe 2000.

Thanks I'll try to share the folder instead of just the root directory like for the other W2K-clients. I thought initially it's DFS on the server that's causing the problem but on the other hand with '95 technology that's already nearly 10 years old that might be the problem and that's why the newer OS versions work and not '95..

Sadly, it's the same for even NT 4.0. On our active directoy file servers the NT boxes can't mount subfolders inside shares, only the shares themselves. Win2K clients can mount any folder underneath the share. Luckily almost all of the NT users have been migrated now though. ________
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back