Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Map Network Drives 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc999

Technical User
Oct 20, 2003
GB
I have a domain with about 100 users and some of these get network drives mapped when they log on. We are using Active Directory with group policy across the domain.

The problem is that I didnt set this up and I cannot for the life of me find where you can tell the clients which drives to map. There are no local scripts mapping the clients drives and there is no script in sysvol\domain\scripts. I cannot find any login scripts attached to any of the OUs in AD. I can see in active directory that their home drives are mapped to H:, but this is only one drive. When a user logs in they get 4 additional network drives mapped.

Where else would somebody put scripts/settings in an environment like this? We basically have a DC with a number of other servers and a fair number of clients.

Please suggest something
Thx

if you type %logonserver%\netlogon at run command is that location emtpy?

Unfortunately it is empty... you see that is where i would probably put have put a script to map drives. I havent been working with AD for that long a time, all I can think is that it is somewhere in the Group Policy. Unfortunately the guy that did everything before me didnt document anything. Trawling through group policy can be a pain...I have tried but cant find anything in there

Have you checked the Mapped drives location in registry? I rekkon he has manually done this from each machine and made the connections persistant... if you right click in explorer and disconnect do they come back?

Where is the mapped drives in registry? I take it that it can be applied through the use of group policy? (he didn't visit each machine and set them manually).They are persistant btw

HKCU\Network\DRIVE-LETTER..... I doub it has been set up via group policy but if it has he would have created a LOGON script and added this to User Configuration\windows settings\scripts \logon... I would check here

Thanks for you help btw. I think this is where the problem lies. I have no scripts in either Computer configuration\windows settings\scripts or in the user configuration. In User Configuration I do not have a script option - only 'User Configuration\Windows Settings\remote Installation Services'. I still am a little cloudy about the difference between user and computer.

I cannot see where else he would sanely have put anything? He is also uncontactable - which is really annoying me. It would have been quicker I think if i had set the whole thing up myself and not had to try and work out what somebody else has messed around with. Oh well.

is there any logging or anything that can be done. i've used gpresult before - but this is not really appropriate here

I've found it. The registry stuff was right and pointed me in the right direction. The users have a profile which is picked up from the server when they first log on. The network settings are stored in ntuser.dat. Pretty convenient for changing in the future - not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back