Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

map network drive to only show certain folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

excoach

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2003
US
I want to map a netwotk drive but only show the folders in a drive that the user has access to. I have a network share that I have a GPO to map that has hundreds of folders in but for each user I only want the folders they have access to to display when the share is opened.

Howdy,

you probably want "Access-based enumeration", see here:

Best regards,
MakeItSo

"Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family." (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

The concern I would have with "Access-based enumeration" is the drain on resources that affect response time. It is my understanding that this can cause slow response time when accessing the folders/files.

Not my experience. We are using this company-wide, no prob.

You sound like you would like to solve this with some custom script rather than with a policy?
Do you really think such an approach would speed up response time or not be a drain on resources? What benchmarks are you basing your assumption on? Do you have numbers? A maximum tolerable threshold?

"Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family." (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back