Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Map multiple shares from the same server under different user accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunShock

Technical User
Aug 21, 2003
US
I have two shares on a server that require different user accounts to access. (I have no control over the user access scheme, I just have the passwords for both accounts.) I would like to mount both of these shares concurrently.

When I try to map the second share, Windows returns the following error message:

Code:
System error 1219 has occurred.

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again..

Does anybody know any ways around this? So far, I've figured that I can map one share via it's NetBIOS name and another via the fully-qualified domain name. This solution works fine for two shares, but supposing I had even more shares to map?

Note: The server doesn't always have the same IP, which is why I use the FQDN instead of the IP address. If this weren't the case, I could just make multiple entries in my hosts file for made-up hostnames.

Service Pack 2 installed?

Note: The server doesn't always have the same IP, which is why I use the FQDN instead of the IP address. If this weren't the case, I could just make multiple entries in my hosts file for made-up hostnames.
No you could not. You would make multiple entries in LMHOSTS. The HOSTS file is not used for Windows Networking name resolution.

But to the point of your question. The issue is not the naming of the connetion, the issue is that prior connections exist on your 'keyring' in Stored Usernames and Passwords, the Protected Storage Service of XP.

To clear this issue:

• [li] Start, Run, net use * /delete[/li]
    [li] Start, Run, control userpasswords2, Advanced, Manage Passwords
    Clear all stored entries for the server in question[/li]
    [li] Set the default state of the Persistent value:
    Start, Run, net use /Persistent:No[/li]
    [li] Review your logon script. For any Net Use command use the form NET USE .... and end with /Persistent:No[/li]

By default, the Stored User Names and Passwords feature creates a "key" for any connection that you make in the graphical user interface (GUI) that requires alternate credentials. When you make a connection at a command prompt by using the net use command and by passing alternate credentials, a key is not created.

For the net use command to save the credentials in Credential Manager, use the /savecred switch. When you use the /savecred switch, any credentials that you are prompted for when you use the net use command are saved as a key.

Therefore, if you are prompted for the user name and password (or if you are prompted only for the password) when you use the net use command (but not because you used an asterisk [*] in the net use command for password prompting) and the /savecred switch, the credentials are saved.

Which is what you do not want in this instance.

BAD: Credential is created and Saved:
When you type the net use * \\ computer_name \ share_name /savecred command, the user is prompted for a user name, and then the user is prompted for a password.
-or-
When you type the net use * \\ computer_name \ share_name /u: domain_name \ user_name /savecred command, the user is prompted for a password.

GOOD: However, when you type one of the following commands, a key is not created:

net use * \\ computer_name \ share_name * /user: domain_name \ user_name /savecred
-or-
net use * \\ computer_name \ share_name * /savecred /user: domain_name \ user_name

I am running SP2 already, so I'm okay on that issue. Also, the article you linked to was for a different error message.

I did what you specified in that bulleted list, but I'm still having trouble with the later "GOOD" commands you stated.

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\DracInFlight>net use * \\sdraconix\felttippen * /user:
sdraconix\oreo8584 /savecred
A command was used with conflicting switches.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3510.

C:\Documents and Settings\DracInFlight>net use * \\sdraconix\felttippen * /savec
red /user:sdraconix\oreo8584
A command was used with conflicting switches.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3510.

Removing the /savecred results in the same error message as before:
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\DracInFlight>net use * \\sdraconix\newu * /user:newu /
persistent:no
Type the password for \\sdraconix\newu:
Drive Z: is now connected to \\sdraconix\newu.

The command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\DracInFlight>net use * \\sdraconix\felttippen * /user:
oreo8584 /persistent:no
Type the password for \\sdraconix\felttippen:
System error 1219 has occurred.

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more
 than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the
 server or shared resource and try again..

First, make sure that tyou check your Stored Passwords as discussed above for any stored credentials for the server.

If it is clean, and the Persistent setting is disabled, there is one other thing that needs to be checked.

A problem is caused when the "RestrictAnonymous" LSA registry value in XP gets changed from its default value of "0" (disabled) to "1" or "2"(enabled). This registry value can be located by opening regedit and going to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000

A more user friendly way of adjusting this same setting is to go to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Local Security Policy --> Local Policies --> Security Options. Make sure the following setting is set to "Disabled":
-- Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares

A reboot is required to activate this change.

I did mis-type above, let me revise:

GOOD -- Do not create credentials
net use * \\computer_name\share_name * /user:domain_name\user_name /Persistent:No
-or-
net use drive letter: \\computer_name\share_name * /user:domain_name\user_name /Persistent:No

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back