Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Map Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaveTrouble

Programmer
Jan 10, 2005
US
I have an ASP page that allows user to browse to a file on local machine or mapped drive, then open it. If the file is on local c:\, ASP will try to look for the c:\ on server, instead of c:\ on user machine. How can I fix it ?

The ASP script only executes on the server... it has no access to the user's local machine.

Lets have a look at your code.

ASP runs on server so i dont think you can access local drive of client machine...

-DNG

you can do it very, VERY messy by using unc paths to the machine name on your network...

BUT, that is not what ASP is really meant to do and if this is on a network you should simply execute client side scripting to do what you need on the client

Ah, yeah if this is for an intranet where the server is on the same network as the browser then you could do it but you'd need to change your IIS settings to use something like a domain admin account instead of the local IUSR_MachineName... such a change could open up a lot of other problems... not a good idea.

And if the server and browser clients are not all on the same office intranet then you can pretty much forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back