Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

map drive to shares after server un-join a domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ykfc

Programmer
Mar 6, 2004
AU
Assume both PC (running Windows 2000) PC-A and PC-B are part of the same domain on Day 1. A user logon on PC-A as domainX/userX and it setup a mapped drive (say M:) to access resource from PC-B. Assume the resource is \\10.20.1.20\sharename

Then recently PC-B un-join the domain, as far as I remember we should still be able to access the share in PC-B as long as both are on the same TCP/IP network. In other word, by accessing it as \\10.20.1.20\shareName

Because PC-B has un-joined the domain, if I am not mistaken, it will not recognise the credentials with user domainX/userX. What are the proper steps to make M: to continue to work as before? Do we need to re-connect the share at login every time the machine is rebooted?

Can the user in PC-A continue to login as domainX/user? By this I mean do we need to ask the user to logon as local user in PC-A, in order to access the share?

By unjoining system B from the domain, you now have to locally administer users...

For system A to access system B, you now have to create a local username and password that the user can utilize to access the share...easiest way to do this is to have the local username and password mirror the domain username and password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back