Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Many says seagate and RAID dont match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Im kind of confused.
Im buying and putting together computers booth for students and for companies.
Many onlinestores Im buying from claim that if you want a RAID-motherboard. "Dont buy a seagate harddrive, cause it doesnt work." I suspect this is all a load of crap, but does anybody know for sure?
Is there a problem or is it just a misunderstanding?

/Daniel

It works, but they perform very bad compared to i.e IBM disks (on hpt370 or promise based raid-controllers).
(thats actually why im here, to find a solution, turned out empty-handed though).

There is a problem with the firmware on some Seagate Barracuda IV hard drives. Seagate is aware of the problem and has an offer to exchange your drives for drives that are optimized for raid. Other than changing drives I don't think there is any other way to improve performance on a Seagate raid configuration. I have not went through the process yet, but as soon as I do I will post the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back