Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Many Problems??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmplatt

Technical User
Mar 7, 2003
US
Just built ANOTHER system, but have run into several issues.

Specs:
Biostar M7VIP M.B.
AMD Athlon XP 2100+
Samsung PC2700 (DDR 333)
ATI Radeon 9000 (64 mb ddr)

After I built this system, I noticed several things.
1. The FSB S/B 266, yet everywhere I look it's only 133 (there are NO jumpers). Biostar assures me that the board has an automatic 2x jumper. YET___ in their Warpseeder software (In Win 2k) it's still only 133??? Also in that software the Memory clock is only 133 (S/B 166)??
2. During Boot up, the memory is detected as DDR 266 (S/B DDR 333)? Biostar says - Memory. I ran Memtest and it tested ok?
3. The system is very slow to boot up and when I try to re-install W2K, or run any type of game (I even tried running Hot CPU Tester), the system keeps COMPLETELY powering down with an internal alarm. No BSOD, errors or anything. It's as if the power was cut-off. I changed PSU's, The CPU is only 50-56° C, I changed video card as well as trying another H.D., and flashing the BIOS???? I have 2 case fans and am positive the CPU isn't overheating.
4. The system boots up slower, and runs slower than my AMD 800 Duron system.

I have sent the M.B. back, but I still wonder?
Any help is appreciated. Have I missed something? There really isn't any jumpers on the M.B, and Why is the FSB only 133? Why is the DDR only 266? Is ther ANY way to verify Biostar's claim about the 2x multiplier on the Bus?

Also, I would like to WARN everyone about Accubyte.com - stay away!!!!!!!!

All those settings should be available in BIOS setup.
The idea that the FSB is only 133mhz is valid. Lots of motherboard manufacturers market them as 266, which is correct, and is (should be) autodetected with the 2x multipler.
Memory timing should be set in BIOS. It's default is 266 because that's what the FSB is. On some motherboards you can set it ASynchronous, meaning, it can run faster or slower than the FSB.
Internal alarms can also be set in BIOS. It's default is probably at 55c, which is why it's shutting down.
As for it's seeming slow speed, until you set the BIOS correctly it's going to be that slow. If, after you set BIOS, it's still slow, something else is wrong.
It's also possible that the alarms go because of voltage problems with the PSU. If a 5v is below about 4.7v, the alarms will go off. Same if there is too much voltage, or too much discrepancy between what the motherboard and CPU need to run correctly, and what the PSU is actually providing. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

How many systems have you built?
FSB on the Athlon XP2.1+ is 133 (166 is for Barton core XP2.6+ or above) unless you are overclocking.
As you are using the XP2.1+ your memory should also be 133 (DDR is double pumped) unless you are overclocking.
I am not familiar with the Biostar board so don't know if it supports 166fsb XP processors or PC2700 but that shouldn't effect you, your memory will just be restricted to PC2100 and as I said your XP2.1+ should be set at an unclocked 133 setting anyway.
It sounds like you may have got it wrong not your supplier?
Unless I got it wrong as well? Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I tried to PRY info from Biostar, as their manual is terrible. They couldn't give me firm answers to my questions.
I understand about the FSB multiplier, but is there any way to verify the actual FSB? Even their software (running in W2k) says 133?
The only thing I could find in Bios about Memory clocking (timing), is to autodetect it from the Memory or to Manually set it up. There wasn't an Asychronous setting. It DID have a setting to set the DRAM clock speed manually, by way of multipliers and such, but it didn't have 166mhz setting (which is what the actual clock speed is of DDR 333). It didn't have 100mhz, 133mhz, 166mhz etc... It had 133mhz and a 2x, 2.5x etc.. multiplier. In addition, it had additional Latency settings and so forth, but I couldn't get to correct settings. Biostar said to "Leave it alone" of course. But still, they couldn't tell me why only DDR 266? They said it should come directly from the memory!! What I don't understand is that the FSB should be 266mhz, yet the Memory bus is different? PC 2700 is DDR 333, but upon further research, it operates at 166mhz clock speed? If the memory defaults to the 266mhz bus speed, wouldn't that FRY the memory? Am I missing something?
As I stated, I can't find where the actual FSB is specified in the Bios. It only states 133mhz (nothing about multiplying). Everything states 133mhz.
I also searched the BIOS high and low, and couldn't find anything about internal CPU alarms or internal alarms of any kind. Unfortunately, I have already sent the board back.
Has anyone had good luck with Bistar? This board appears to have STRONG capabilities, but now I wonder...
I also, as I mentioned, changed PSU's and the voltage appears to be fine.
Thanks for the help.

(How many systems have you built?
FSB on the Athlon XP2.1+ is 133 (166 is for Barton core XP2.6+ or above) unless you are overclocking.
As you are using the XP2.1+ your memory should also be 133 (DDR is double pumped) unless you are overclocking.
I am not familiar with the Biostar board so don't know if it supports 166fsb XP processors or PC2700 but that shouldn't effect you, your memory will just be restricted to PC2100 and as I said your XP2.1+ should be set at an unclocked 133 setting anyway.
It sounds like you may have got it wrong not your supplier?)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may be wrong here, but the FSB doesn't necessarily relate to the internal clock speed of the CPU. Right?
The "Bus" refers to the electrical circuitry of the motherboard. The AMD Athlon XP 2100+ has an internal clock speed of 133mhz, but it should operate in a Motherboard Bus speed of 266mhz. This is also the manufacturers specs. Also, DDR 333 is specified to run at 166mhz memory bus speed? I wasn't getting either?
I have built around20 systems without problems. I do admit, that I have been spoiled. Never needed much tweaking, except software related! Don't beleive much in Over clocking and such, don't think the benefit is there for average users! I am more proficient with software related issues, so all help here is greatly appreciated.

The alarms I was mentioning are heat related, usually somewhere in BIOS.
To add to the confusion:
FSB is the speed that the BUS operates at, transferring data to/from the CPU and RAM.
The CPU is running an INTERNAL bus speed of 266mhz.
The RAM can run an INTERNAL bus speed of 333mhz.
The system board runs at 133mhz, and this is multiplied to double or triple it to the required RAM speed (asynchronous).
To get full use of your RAM, set it up manually.
AFAIK, all "utilities" will report a bus speed of 133mhz. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back