Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Many many invalid page faults...... follow up to first post. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMcCall

Technical User
Aug 18, 2002
US
First I would like to say thank you for all the previous replies to my post. To the Nice guys willing to help, here is a some more info. So below I posted more info and under that is my original post with the same error log.

First of all, friends of mine let me try different OSs on the PC (Win XP, Win 98SE) and turned up the same results.

I have done clean installs several times but still receiving the same random errors(invalid page faults & freeze ups)

The Ram is PNY 256MBs and Hard disk IBM Desktar 40gb (38gb).
(I tried another smaller hard disk same problems...to cancel out the hard drive as the culprit)

I checked the startup group and no TSRs.

Finally last comment... I agree WinME is garbage:)...unfortunatly thats not my only problem.

Thank you guys for your time. (Below is previous post)

I am using Window ME and I just built the computer and recieving tons of page faults and other errors. They seem to random but at times really coming quick.Below I have posted my error log with the Memory Addresses, some are the same. I know the easiest thing would be is to swap parts till I find the culprit, but cash is low. Ram? Virus? Video Card? Power Supply? Any suggestions?

(ERROR LOG)

Date 08/15/2002 Time 00:52
IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at ddd7:ff08758b.

module SHELL32.DLL at 0187:7fbd215d.

IEXPLORE caused a stack fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0187:bff624a5.

Date 08/15/2002 Time 05:00
3D FLOWER BOX caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at ddd9:73331f00.

Date 08/16/2002 Time 13:57
RUNDLL32 caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at c151:7fea80e5.

Date 08/17/2002 Time 04:08
module SHELL32.DLL at 0187:7fbd215d.

Date 08/17/2002 Time 04:14
module URLMON.DLL at 0187:75163d7e.

Date 08/17/2002 Time 04:29
module MSACM32.DLL at 0187:7a1e1654.

Date 08/17/2002 Time 04:29
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0187:bff8e64b.

Date 08/17/2002 Time 04:39
module <unknown> at c171:73331f00.

BIGFIX caused an invalid page fault in

Date 08/18/2002 Time 15:22
START caused an invalid page fault in
module KRNL386.EXE at 0002:00007c38.

Date 08/18/2002 Time 17:23
HELPCTR caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff8e1ad.

Kind of a side note, but you say there are no TSR's loading? Is this because you have disabled all of them? There are a few that you need to keep enabled such as scanreg.(except possibly when trying to diagnose a problem)
The best way to troubleshoot Ram is to create a ram drive. It is somewhat complicated (not much fun) But it does a good job of testing physical memory. - GO to Or just type in Q142546 in your I.E. address bar - this should get you there.

Invalid Page faults are usually caused by bad memory sticks or memory compatibity issue.

I examined you error log and have noticed that IEXPLORE and BIGFIX both caused an error in c171:73331f00, looks to me as you have a bad stick of RAM.

Just my opinion

I was getting invalid page faults all over the place and BSODs just before my hard drive died. I agree it is probably a bad RAM stick here, but don't rule out the hard drive. &quot;A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.....&quot; [morning]

It could also be the processor, especially if it is caching.
If you replace the memory and are getting the same error messages then it is a dodgy processor. What type of processor is it and what size onboard cache does it use?

I would try to replace the RAM most places will offer to replace RAM. When something like this happens and you can not figure it out, it is sometimes easier to pay some money to have an OEM custom build and repair shop look at it. It will cost a little, but it is worth it to find out what is wrong.

It could be the RAM, the RAM slot, the CPU or the Motherboard. It could also be the pin configuration or the voltage being wrong for the RAM OR the CPU. RAM is usually the easiest to replace. I suggest going to and buying their RAM. They have free Shipping and send it out quite fast. Use the memory selector to insure compatability. I have ordered RAM from them on a few occassions.

At this point you are guessing. At an OEM shop, they probably have another processor they can try in your motherboard. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back