Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

many 3548 connected to 4003 VLAN issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

vince62s

Technical User
Nov 8, 2003
FR
Hi,
Here is my prob:

I have one catalyst 4003 replicating its VLAN on 3548 through VTP.

VLAN 1 native for 4003 and 3548 connected through trunks

VLAN 2
VLAN 3

when I assign a port on VLAN 3 on 2 different switch 3548, they cannot see each other.
same with one port of the 4003 assigned to VLAN 3. it cannot see the other ports of VLAN 3 on 3548.

same pb with VLAN 2

trunks are configured to let traffic through for VLAN 1-4

any help?

Show a 'show vtp status' to make sure all the switches have the same vlan config file.

also so a 'show vlan' on each to make sure its all been replicated through and do a 'show vlan id 3' to see if the vlan is even active..

BuckWeet

Buckweet is right.
You atleast need to be sure the vtp domain name is the same on each unit. passwords are not necessary. if you add/subtract switches on any regular basis i would suggest setting one switch to vtp server, and not all of the switches.

everything is fine there:

the 4003 acts as the VTP server with a given name.

on the 3548 #1: sh vtp status is the same as on the 3548 #2

same for "sh vlan id 3"

they are active and have the same configuration.

each 3548 is connected to the 4003 where everything looks fine, trunking works, VLANs are open on these trunks for both VLAN1 and VLAN3

could this have something to do with ip addresses of the 3548s ? since VLAN1 and VLAN3 have different classes and subnets.

thanks

Try removing and re-adding the 3550 switches back into your vtp domain, ensure they are set to client are you using IP helper addresses?

they replicate fine with the 4003, when I added a VLAN into the 4003, the 3548 were updated fine.

what is IP helper addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back